Skip to main content

Power shift

I was sitting at the kitchen counter a couple days ago and Raya & her big sister Kaida were playing in the living room. Since Kaida pretty much talks all day long (mostly to herself or in conversation with toys), I've gotten to where I tune her out unless she's talking to me. I realized that she was saying the same thing over & over again (in a calm voice) and then I heard that she was saying, "I tan't dit up. I tan't dit up. I tan't dit up." (I can't get up) I turned around to see what was going on and saw this:

I laughed pretty hard when I saw them. Kaida's going to have to step up her game if she doesn't want to lose her throne. :) Or at least stop laying on the floor. Raya loves to find things that are the right height to sit on and Kaida laying on the floor is apparently the perfect height. I was surprised that Raya didn't hurt her. They're only about 4 or 5 pounds apart in weight but Raya is a lot stronger than Kaida. We keep joking that Raya is going to be an Olympic power lifter when she grows up because she loves to find the heaviest thing she can pick up and then carry it around. (that would fall under the "heavy work" category of sensory processing disorder :)
She's been doing some funny things lately. She learned to say the word that every parent dreads having their child learn: "NO!" but she has no idea what it means yet so it's still funny. Last night when we were sitting at the dinner table she started saying "Nooooooo!" The big kids thought it was hilarious, so of course she just kept doing it. They waved their fingers at her and said it back to her, so then she would wave her finger at them and say, "No, no, NOOOOO!" I tried to get them to just eat their dinner & ignore her but she was cute & funny and they couldn't help it. :)
We've been doing better with putting her in her high chair while we're eating. She's shown more interest in pretending to eat so we're giving her more opportunities to do it. We always give her a plate or bowl, spoon and cup to play with. She usually lasts 2 or 3 minutes before they're on the floor but sometimes she takes pretend bites and drinks and says "Mmmmmm!" and I think to myself, "How would YOU know?!?" :) She has actually surprised me several times lately though and let me give her tiny tastes of things. I gave her a tiny little drop of her formula this morning (she put her mouth on the can) and then she smiled and smacked her lips. I have no idea if she can even taste it or if she just liked the strong metallic taste of the can but it's exciting whenever she lets something into her mouth. If she's in the right mood and we offer something hard or crunchy, she'll bite into it. She doesn't bite it off but I think she likes the way it feels to have something scratch her teeth. (another sensory seeking behavior)
And speaking of sensory seeking behaviors, how's this one. I took her to the grocery store and put a couple bags of frozen vegetables in the cart next to her and she picked one up and held it the rest of the time we were at the store. She LOVES cold things! She likes to take the ice packs out of her backpack when we're not watching her and play with them too.
Oh, and she learned this too:
She walked around like that for several minutes. Nice.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …