*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*


**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where the blood was coming from

**Once again, I'm warning you that this post will talk about blood and stomach drainage and have a gross picture.**

I posted last week that there was blood draining from Raya's G tube again and then I posted that the bleeding had stopped. This weekend we found out where the bleeding was coming from. I was changing her diaper Saturday morning, which is when I usually check & change the gauze around her GJ tube. I glanced at it and saw that it looked a little bit pink, which is unusual. Normally, there's nothing but a little bit of drainage from her stomach (greenish & kind of looks like what you blow out of your nose when you have a cold). I carefully took the gauze off, which normally doesn't bother her, but she flinched & started fussing. When I pulled it off, I saw a rather large lump of tissue sticking out of the stoma (hole in her stomach where the GJ tube is). I never actually measured it but I'd guess that it was sticking out about 1cm from the hole and was kind of rectangle shaped. The granulation tissue she's had before was always round and grew out around the entire stoma, it didn't stick out of just one spot like this was. It was raw & bloody and from the way she was acting I could tell it was painful. There wasn't much I could do about it except put aquaphor on the gauze to keep it from sticking to it. (I was going to take a picture but she was too squirmy.) I thought (very briefly) about using a silver nitrate stick to cauterize it but it seemed painful enough already and I didn't want to aggravate it. We decided just to watch it over the weekend.
So fast forward to yesterday, I emailed the nurse yesterday morning and told her about it & asked her if we needed to do anything about it or just leave it alone. Then an hour or 2 later, I went to check it and change the gauze again and the whole thing just came off. It was not what I was expecting and it was gross but it solved the problem. :) And because I wouldn't be me if I didn't post a gross picture every so often, here it is. (This is after it had shrunk over the weekend & gotten darker in color.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...