INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SUPER exciting!

So this morning I was awakened every 10 or so minutes for 2 hours straight by Raya's gagging/vomiting/dry heaving. From about 5-7 she just kept throwing up. (I don't know if throwing up is the right term since nothing was coming out but there's still a difference between her dry heaving and the times when you know something would come out if there was anything in her stomach. TMI.)
ANYWAY, I figured that since that's about the worst morning she's had in a while, today was as good a day as any to try a gastric bolus feed. (FYI a bolus feed is when you give a larger amount over a short period of time)
Since we know that her stomach can clear 2 ounces in 2 hours, I thought that would be a good place to start. I waited 2 hours after I had turned off her night feed and then sat her in the high chair. I had never done a gravity feed before (that means letting gravity push the formula in) so it was really awkward and she kept grabbing things and almost made me spill. As soon as it started going in, she totally stopped moving everything but her feet and just sat there. (not normal for her) After the first ounce went in she kept swallowing funny and looked like she was going to puke. I wondered if I was making a mistake but I finished the 2 ounces anyway. She just sat there completely still and looked like she was either going to vomit or fall asleep. She fell asleep. :) I didn't move her for 30 minutes and then I moved her onto a blanket on the floor. (a very thick one in case she threw up:) She slept for a few minutes and then woke up and started playing. SHE NEVER THREW UP! I was very excited. I waited another hour after her 2 hours that I gave her to let her stomach empty and then started her next continuous feed. I might even try another bolus feed while we're eating dinner tonight.
NOW. Of course I'm excited but still not holding my breath. After all, we are dealing with a little girl who has been vomiting multiple times a day for pretty much her whole life whether she was being fed in her stomach or not and I don't expect smooth sailing from here on out. That said, this is a HUGE step in the right direction because A. we can start teaching her body how to recognize feeling full and feeling hungry, and B. we can start feeding her real food through her tube (after we get the allergy testing done). I still feel like once we get her primarily on real food, she'll do better than she has on formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...