Skip to main content

Mommy's FIRST night off!

With very mixed feelings, I decided to take the night off and sleep at RMH without Raya tonight. Mostly because there will be someone in her room all night long monitoring her symptoms so they can be recorded for the guy that will be evaluating her impedence test results. Why would I want to sleep in front of a total stranger whose job it is to stay awake all night and watch my kid sleep, which means he/she would also be awake all night to hear me snore/talk in my sleep, etc. when I could sleep in my new favorite sleep number bed at RMH? Not to mention the fact that she cried pretty much from 1:00 when she was admitted & taken to her room until 10:30 when she finally FINALLY went to sleep. However, it was still tough to leave her there because I've never slept more than 10 feet away from her just in case she needed me to roll her over so she didn't choke when she threw up. Part of me wants to feel that good ol' Mommy guilt, but a bigger part of me is reminding myself that this is the best opportunity I'll get to not have to worry about anything for a night since she'll actually have one-on-one care all night. The best part is that someone else gets to clean up her 5am vomit(s) for a change. And she'd better vomit at 5am, dangit. I didn't fly all the way to Ohio with her so that she can decide not to throw up in the morning!!
We met with the nurse practitioner today and then later we met THE doctor that we're here to see. I felt like I was meeting a celebrity because any time someone would ask who we were here to see and I'd tell them, they'd do one of those, "Ohhhhhhh, you're here to see HIM." things and then tell me how people come from all over the country and all over the world to see him. That makes me feel special. The fact that he agreed to see us at all and then made it so that we got in in 2 months instead of 4-6 months has helped to get rid of my self-doubt about the fact that Raya's problems aren't just a simple oversight that we've made and that there is actually something wrong with her body. I think it's pretty obvious that there's something wrong with her, but it's still hard to not think that at any given moment, somebody will just say, Oh, all it is is xyz, why didn't you figure that out??
OH MY GOODNESS, I almost forgot the most EXCITING part of my day/week/YEAR. Remember this annoying contraption? i.e. the 3 oz plastic bottle with the tip cut off taped to her extension tube to catch the fluid draining out of her stomach? Well, when we got into her room today and I showed it to the nurse and asked her if they had a new lid I could replace it with and/or something better to use, she brought me the most beautiful little plastic drainage bag that plugs into the extension tube and has a little clip to hook it to her clothes so that when it starts to collect a lot of fluid it won't rip the tape off her little tummy. I was SOOOOO ridiculously excited about it! What does that say about me that I got excited about a G tube drainage bag... When we go home I will post a picture and then maybe my excitement will be understood. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …