Skip to main content

Bacon Part II and another GI appointment

We fed the baby bacon again. This time went even better than last time. Before Raya came along, I never would have guessed that seeing my 1 year old play with and "eat" bacon would make me so happy. :)
We started out slow this time. She wanted nothing to do with it as long as Mommy was holding it so she ripped it out of my hand and started to pull it apart:

Tried to remember what to do with it:

Pulled it apart a little more:

(I missed the shot of one of the kids putting it in her mouth and the shot of all 3 kids trying to shove it in her mouth at the same time :)

BACON!!!

Testing out the new teeth (she has 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top now):

Loving all the attention from the big kids:

Practicing spitting it out, which is also very exciting because her typical reaction is gagging & vomiting:

Starting to panic a little when crumbs broke off in her mouth:

Using fingers to try & get bacon back out of her mouth (again, very exciting because normally she gags & vomits to get things out of her mouth):

I love BACON!! :)

Raya's other favorite thing in life besides bacon is Daddy:
Not sure what's up with the little tongue hanging out. It's been doing that again lately.

She loves to give really hard hugs and pat (i.e. hit) you when she hugs you. It's very cute but sometimes it hurts. She's strong. :)

Life would be dull without Raya around. :) She saw her GI doctor today. We took her this picture that was taken in January the day before our first appointment with her and a current picture. Her doctor looked at the first picture and just shook her head and said, "Wow, look at that. Her face just begs for help." She looked so skinny and frail and her coloring was terrible. Even her arms & legs were pale. The difference between 10 months ago and now is pretty amazing. She weighed 9.9kg today (21 lbs 13 oz) and I honestly can't believe how huge she is. She's growing out of clothes that Kaida was wearing at 16-18 months and for once I have a kid who can actually wear pants that don't have an adjustable waistband. :) Other than that (and a couple of vomiting episodes), the appointment was pretty uneventful. I told her about a couple of bad days that Raya had, like the day that her G tube drained 273ml (a little over 9 oz) and she threw up 3 or 4 times the same day. Some people have bad hair days but since she doesn't have much hair yet, Raya has bad motility days. :) Dr. S told me that those are the kinds of things that I need to write down so that I remember to tell the doctors in Ohio. I have my little notebooks (Raya: vol. 1-3) that have EVERYTHING written in them, but I'm going to have to go through and mark all of the important stuff I guess. Otherwise I'll never find what I need when I need it. I also chatted with her about the RIDICULOUS problems we're having with the insurance co. over Raya's formula & pedialyte, got updated rXs for her meds and adjusted a couple of the dosages, and talked to the nurse about getting a letter for TSA about Raya's medical supplies that we'll be flying with. I booked my ticket this morning so we're getting our ducks in a row. We leave 2 weeks from today and I can't believe we're going so soon but I'm looking forward to it. Except for the cold. There's a reason I don't live in Idaho anymore and the reason is cold. :)

Comments

  1. Adjustable waistband jeans rock!!! I'm 22 and wear a size 16 girls regular jeans with adjustable waistband in them. I'm finally gaining weight after coming off steroids. I weighed 79.6 at the doctor's office in October and now weigh 86.2 or something like that. My name is pronounced "Gee-anna" b/c so many people (read: doctors and nurses) have mispronounced my name. I've gotten good at listening for my last name anytime I'm seeing a new doctor b/c I know without a doubt that they're going to mispronounce my first name. I only weighed 1 lb. when I was born. I'm now 4'9.5" tall. I can pass for an 11 year old at times!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …