Skip to main content

Antroduodenal Manometry

I got a fortune cookie the other night that said, "You will discover new frontiers." Like many vague and generalized fortune cookies, my fortune is probably going to come true in the near future. The new frontier I'll be discovering is Ohio, Raya will be my travel companion, and Anteroduodenal Manometry will be our ticket there.
Big words, eh? According to the website of Nationwide Children's Hospital (i.e. our destination) anteroduodenal manometry is:
The antrum is the lower part of the stomach and the duodenum is the first part of the small intestine, which is connected to the stomach.  Antroduodenal manometry is used to study how the stomach and the first part of the small intestine are working. It can be used to measure both the strength and coordination of muscle contractions of the stomach and small intestine. To do this test, a small flexible tube (catheter) is passed through the nose, down the esophagus, through the stomach, and into the small intestine. The tube is passed after the child is sedated, but the manometry test itself is done after the child wakes up, often the next day. If the child has a gastrostomy tube, the catheter will be passed through the gastrostomy instead of through the nose.  

So basically, they'll be doing testing to measure the ability (or inability:) of Raya's stomach & small intestine to move food & fluids through her digestive system efficiently. Should be interesting. I'm not sure how soon we'll be going (I still feel like I should be saying IF we go), but hopefully it will be in the next month or so. I called the hospital today and they said they'd have to get the referral from our GI doctor (which the nurse said she's already sent) and then when they get the referral their person in charge of scheduling out-of-towners will call me so we can arrange travel & accommodations. I'm also crossing my fingers that our hospital's social worker was right when she said that our insurance may pick up some or all of our plane ticket since the testing she needs is not available in our state. That would be fabulous.
Anyway, once we have an appointment scheduled, the nurse will get all the paperwork in to get authorization from the insurance company and then we'll be ready to go. I think. :)

And in other annoying news, I found out tonight when I opened the box to get out a new extension tube for Raya that when I said, "Raya doesn't have a Bard button anymore, she has a mic-key button so she'll need mic-key extension tubes. Could we get the 12 inch long ones please?" the girl at home health interpreted what I said to mean, "Could you please send me the 24 inch long extension tubes for the Bard button that Raya got removed 2 weeks ago so that we can keep using the same filthy extension tube that she's been using for 2 weeks while we wait for you to correct your mistake?" UGH!!! I'm so irritated right now! I specifically told the girl the exact product and size that we wanted, and then I even called back again later to make sure that she had ordered extension tubes and they STILL gave us the wrong thing. I'd cry right now but I need to go flush the soda pop out of the grungy old extension tube to see if it helped get any of the gunk out.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …