Skip to main content

Why do I get so excited about abnormal test results?

Maybe excited is the wrong word; maybe relieved would be a better one. Not that I'm excited that there's something wrong with my child, but it's very exciting when the results of a test confirm what we already suspect (know).
First off, she had an upper GI. Typically they would have her drink barium out of a bottle or cup and then watch to see where it goes. The reason we did it today was to rule out a hiatal hernia, which we saw no sign of during the scan. The radiologist did keep saying, "Oh, there goes some reflux... There's some more... Oh, she's refluxing again." We saw it at least 4 or 5 times in a scan that lasted less than 10 minutes when all she had in her stomach was half an ounce of barium. So again, Mommy's not crazy, she really does have "significant reflux".
After the upper GI, they flipped the x-ray table on its end and put a little foam seat on it so Raya could have her 2nd Modified Barium Swallow Study (MBS). The first one back in May was a miserable failure, as in she refused and/or was unable to swallow anything. Today was thankfully a different story. I've been preparing for it for a couple of weeks now, which really just means that I haven't tried to feed her anything at all for 2 weeks. :)
We started with either the pudding or honey thickness, I can't remember which. She was polite enough to take 2 good spoonfuls from a little take & toss baby spoon and did pretty well swallowing it. I think they said there was mild pooling or a mild penetration or something like that (meaning that some of the barium briefly moved toward her airway instead of going straight down her throat).
After that we moved on to the nectar thickness from a black plastic spoon I got at Costa Vida that Raya likes to play with. She took a tiny bit from that spoon but then decided she was done & clamped her mouth shut. After I tried a couple times to get more into her mouth, I told the radiologist & speech therapist that she was in her "politely declining" phase and that we should quickly move on to the syringe if we wanted a chance of continuing without her vomiting. :)
Luckily, the syringe worked well enough to get a couple more good mouthfuls in. She held it in her mouth for several seconds and then looked at me as if to say, "I've decided that I'd like to swallow this now." :) She swallowed the nectar thickness really well though & didn't have any pooling near her airway.
After that we moved on to the barium that was the same thickness as her formula. We skipped the spoon completely & just used the syringe. On the very first swallow the speech therapist & radiologist simultaneously said, "Oh, deep penetration!" Meaning that the barium went straight towards her airway and pooled there before going down her esophagus. Meaning that again, Mommy's not crazy and she really does have difficulty swallowing thin liquids, including refluxed liquids. Obviously I'm not happy that she has this issue and every time I hear her cough or hear those wet reflux hiccups, I feel bad for her, but I'm so glad that we finally have test results that back up our suspicions.
As silly as it may sound, I'm really proud of her for swallowing that nasty, chalky barium that didn't even have cherry kool-aid mixed into it like last time. I wish I had a picture of her with white barium oozing out of the corners of her mouth and her cute little chin all covered in it but my hands were too busy feeding it to her to take pictures. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …