Skip to main content

Thursday is the new Friday (Fri 3-5-10)

This week was another busy one. There was Kaida's endocsopy Monday, Raya's physical therapy on Tuesday, and a check-up with her GI doctor on Wednesday. The PT appointment went well but she's most likely going to need a helmet to reshape her head as a result of the positions she sleeps in to keep the reflux at bay and she's going to be seeing the PT once a week now. The GI appointment was a whirlwind of trying to go down my list of questions while answering the doctor's questions, keeping Cole & Kaida out of trouble, trying to remember everything she said, and trying not to forget any of the things I wanted to talk to her about. Raya had gained 11 oz in 2 weeks which was good but still not quite where the doctor would like her to be. I mentioned a couple of things that have been going on w/Raya lately and she pointed out a couple of things that we hadn't really discussed before, and she went out in the hallway for a minute. When she came back, she told me that she couldn't really put a finger on it but that there was something about Raya that is making her uncomfortable & just isn't sitting right with her. She said that there's not any huge blaring things going on, but she has a lot of little "soft symptoms" that may indicate something that we haven't picked up on yet. So long story short, our little quick appointment turned into a 2 1/2 hour long appointment that included blood work & urine cultures and an appointment with the neurologist for Monday.

Okay, so that was the first half of my week. It was busy and I was tired but it really wasn't bad. I started my day off yesterday by waking up & feeding Raya at 5:30 and then shortly after that, she vomited the entire bottle all over the front of both of us, down my lap, and onto the couch. I stood up and Donny laughed because it really looked like I had peed my pants. I cleaned everything up, fed kids, clothed kids, packed Ashtyn's lunch, and sent her off to school with Skylar since Donny's car had been in the shop & he had to take mine to work. It started out fine but things went downhill pretty quickly after that. I honestly don't know how Cole & I would have lived through the day if it hadn't been park day with friends at 10:00. Oh, which reminds me that while I was paying bills, Cole & Kaida decided to help themselves to the brand new bottle of syrup which is now half of a bottle. I pretty much had to give Kaida a bath before we could be seen in public even though we were only going to the park. It was just that kind of a morning.
While we were at the park, Donny called & told me that the training class he was taking had ended early so he was on his way home already. It was SOOOOOOO nice to spend the afternoon with him! He got home right when we got home from the park so we cleaned up the kids & fed them lunch and then loaded them up in the car so we could run a couple of errands. We picked up some Rubio's for lunch and then went home and put the kids in their rooms for naps. Kaida was out like a light but Cole will do anything to avoid falling asleep. Donny & Raya took a nap and she was still asleep when it was time for her to eat, so I just hooked her up to the machine & fed her while she slept. I must say that I kind of like the convenience of feeding her whether she's awake or not. :)

Raya LOVES her daddy!
Since Cole was still awake when it was time to get Ashtyn & Skylar from school, I took him with me so he wouldn't bother Kaida. We picked up the girls & took Skylar home and stayed to play for a while. After everybody at home woke up, we came home & loaded everybody up again so we could pick up Donny's car from the shop. $2000 later, we were back home & having dinner & sending kids off to bed. It just felt like a Friday all day long and it was SOOOO great to have Donny get a surprise afternoon off.



Shortly before Raya started her nightly fuss-fest, she figured out how to roll from her back to her tummy. Way to go Ray-ray!!

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …